Relieve Parkinson's Symptoms
The Tampa YMCA is proud to offer the Pedaling for Parkinson's program at the Bob Sierra Family Y and South Tampa Family Y. Classes are offered as 8-week sessions to those suffering from Parkinson's disease.
Pedaling a bicycle may change the life of someone with Parkinson's disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35% reduction of symptoms by the simple act of pedaling a bike at a rapid pace. While fast pedaling is not a cure for Parkinson's disease and should not be touted as such, there is compelling evidence to show that it does make a real difference for many who try it.
What to Expect
The classes are driven by fast-paced music, and participants at every level are offered the challenge of improving their performance on an ongoing basis. Participants share a common bond in a socially supportive environment.
- Free participation for an individual's first 8-week session
- Cycling instructor with Parkinson's knowledge leads each session
- Care partner participation is encouraged, but not required
- Fun, supportive environment
- Bob Sierra Family Y: Tuesdays & Thursdays at 11am
- South Tampa Family Y: Tuesdays & Thursdays at 10:15am
Check out the Group Exercise Schedule for the most up-to-date times, locations and other group exercise classes.
Visit our Welcome Centers or contact Alan Dubois (South Tampa) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jodi Frazier (Bob Sierra) at email@example.com.
Pedaling for Parkinson's support group meetings are the fourth Tuesday of every month, from 12 - 1pm in the Bob Sierra Family YMCA classroom.