Swim and Train to Compete
Swimming at a competitive level, no matter the age, is a fun, low-impact way to exercise with peers. Swimmers new to the competitive environment of the sport typically begin in the Y Swim League. As youth and teen swimmers perfect their techniques, they may progress to a more challenging level. Learn more about swim team progression at the Tampa YMCA.
Y Swim League
The Y Swim League is a beginner swim team program that builds upon the skills participants learn in swim lessons. Y Swim League team members learn the basic techniques of all four strokes. In addition to developing proper form and technique, swim teams will work on endurance and conditioning during Y Swim League seasons.
Y Swim League Overview
- Ages: 5-17 (kindergarten - high school)
- Commitment: practice 2-3 days per week, attend monthly Y swim meets
- Required skills to join the team (tested during swim team tryouts): swim one length of the pool
- 25 yards of freestyle stroke with (side) rotary breathing
- 25 yards of backstroke
- Skills to perfect and learn
- Refine freestyle stroke and backstroke
- Learn breaststroke and butterfly stroke
- Water time: 50 minutes (3x per week); days/times vary by location
- Open to Y members for $70 per month plus $20 registration fee
- Swim team members get a team swim cap and shirt.
Y Swim League Tryouts
Youth athletes are invited to put their skills to the test in our free, 30-minute swim team tryout!
Tampa YMCA Competitive Swim Team “Tampa YMCA Stingrays”
The competitive swim team for kids and teens focuses on swimming fundamentals, progression and athletic development. Competitive swim team athletes will learn and build on foundational skills and techniques in a fun and supportive environment. Athletes are grouped by age and ability.
Tampa YMCA Stingrays Team Overview
- Ages: 6-18
- Commitment: practice 4-6 days per week (frequency varies by group), attend YMCA and USA Swimming meets
- Skills needed: ability to legally swim all four strokes: Fly, Back, Breast, and Free
- Skills to learn: refine technique and build confidence with all four strokes. Competitive starts, turns and swim meet etiquette
- Dry land practice: all competitive team athletes participate in strength, mobility, body awareness and mental training sessions daily
- Stingrays are required to be Tampa Y members and registered with USA Swimming
- Team dues start at $80 per month
Team Practice Frequency by Group
- Bronze: Practice 3-4 days/week for 90 minutes each day
- Silver: Practice 4-5 days/week for 2 hours each day
- Gold: Practice 5-6 days/week for 2 hours, 15 minutes each day
- Senior Prep: Practice 3-5 days/week for 2 hours each day
- Senior (high school): Practice 6+ days/week for 2 hours, 30 minutes each day
Join the Competitive Tampa YMCA Stingrays Swim Team
Email email@example.com with any questions and visit the TYS website for more information.
TYS Masters Swim Team
The Masters Swim Team at the Tampa Y is for adults ages 18 and up. Triathletes, competitive swimmers, open water swimmers, and recreational swimmers enjoy the camaraderie of Masters Swim team.
Masters Swim Team Overview
Masters Swim coaches lead workouts and help swim team members improve technique and endurance. Most team members enjoy competition and coaches help swimmers train at an advanced level. United States Masters Swimming holds local and regional swim meets; team members can register to compete with TYMS.
- Ages: 18+, Tampa YMCA members, $35
- Practices are offered 3+ days per week: morning, mid-day, evening
- Skills needed: ability to swim 25 yards of freestyle with rotary breathing
- Skills to learn: refine technique and build confidence through group workouts
- Water time: 50-90 minutes per practice (schedules vary by location)
Register for Masters Swim Team
- Bob Gilbertson Central City Family YMCA (Tampa Heights)
- Campo Family YMCA (Valrico)
- New Tampa Family YMCA
- South Tampa Family YMCA
- Northwest Hillsborough Family YMCA coming soon!