Diabetes Prevention Program at the Y
YDPP Session Now Enrolling
VIRTUAL YDPP session begins in June 2022!
To enroll, call Rachel Kehoe on the Tampa Y Diabetes Prevention line 813.922.2808 or via email email@example.com.
What to Expect During the Program
- Discussion-based group led by a trained lifestyle coach.
- One year: includes 12 weekly core sessions, then seven bi-weekly and then six monthly maintenance sessions.
- Interactive and supportive environment to help you adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals with monthly maintenance sessions.
- Program goals are: reduce body weight by 7% and gradually increase physical activity to 150 minutes or more per week.
- Weekly session topics include:
- Three ways to eat less fat
- Being active: a way of life
- Tip the calorie balance
- Take charge of what’s around you
- Four keys to healthy eating out
- Ways to stay motivated
- Improve your health and reduce your risk for Type 2 Diabetes
WHO qualifies? Individuals ages 18+ at risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes. Take the quiz to see if you qualify. YMCA members and non-members are welcome.
WHAT is it? The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a lifestyle modification program designed to reduce the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. In summer 2018, DPP earned full recognition from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This designation is reserved for programs that effectively deliver a quality, evidence-based program that meets CDC standards.
HOW does it work? Participants gather in a relaxed classroom setting with a trained lifestyle coach to discuss how to incorporate healthy eating, physical activity, and behavior modification into their daily lives.
WHERE is it offered? The program is offered at each Tampa Y location within the Tampa. Ask the Welcome Center at your Y about on-site opportunities to bring the program to your workplace.
WHEN does class start? Each center frequently holds DPP classes. If the current class has already begun, inform the Welcome Center you are interested. Once there are enough interested people, a new class can begin.
WHY should I participate? Programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program have been shown to reduce the number of cases of Type 2 Diabetes by 58% and 71% in individuals over age 60. Join today and improve your health and happiness!
Take this quiz to find out if you’re at risk for diabetes.
Did You Know:
- An estimated 1 in 3 adults in the United States has prediabetes, yet only 7% know they have it.
- 29 million people have diabetes and 79 million to 86 million people have prediabetes.
- Prediabetes means a person has elevated blood glucose levels, but not high enough levels to be diabetic.
- Individuals with Type 2 diabetes and prediabetes are at an increased risk for developing heart disease, stroke, and other chronic conditions.
- People who are overweight, inactive, and over the age of 45 are at risk.
- Type 2 diabetes is the leading cause of adult blindness and kidney failure.
- Type 2 diabetes accounts for 17% of deaths in adults over age 25.
- Research has shown that modest weight loss and regular physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in adults.
- Losing just 5-7% body weight has been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes by 58%.
Financing and Insurance Coverage
If you have a policy with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, BlueCross BlueShield, Cigna, Florida Blue, or UnitedHealthcare, you may be eligible to participate at no cost to you. Call the number on the back of your insurance card today to find out! Financial assistance and payment plans are available for qualifying individuals based on household income.
For more information please contact:
Diabetes Prevention Program Enrollment Specialist at YDPP@tampaymca.org or call 813-922-2808.