Work Out. We'll Watch the Kids.
Stay & Play is a benefit included in a Tampa Y Family membership and Two Person membership. While you work out (for up to two hours), kids engage in interactive, intentional play and self-discovery learning in Stay & Play.
Stay & Play is engaging, curriculum-based play for kids ages 6 weeks to 6 years old. Children will be immersed in hands-on play stations including science, art, reading, dramatic play and more. All activities are age-appropriate and contribute to early childhood development. Play stations encourage play that opens children's imaginations. Kids look forward to coming to the Y because of Stay & Play and often want to stay even when it's time to leave!
The Tampa Y Stay & Play Family Programming Attendants have been trained in each play station, parent policies and caring for young children.
Stay & Play is available at most Tampa Y locations—click "Stay & Play" in the Amenities sections. In some cases, special accommodations can be made for children with special needs.
Our curriculum-based play offers play stations including:
Arts and crafts, table top games, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, dramatic play, science and nature, quiet learning.
Types of play stations and activities:
- Question of the day
- Block building
- Guided play
- Sorting, describe what you see.
- Dramatic play
- Kitchen, fruit sorting, touch center rug
- Stretch questions to encourage kids to use their imagination and repeat what they've learned
- "Describe what you've built in a few words."
Types of Learning
- Quiet Learning: Kids read and look at books independently, older readers engage with young readers, Y staff reads to small groups.
- Stretch Questions: each play station engages children to use their imagination. Stretch questions encourage them to open their minds and repeat what they've learned.
- Fine motor skills: matching games
- Gross motor skills: rhythm and movement
Like Stay & Play, Youth Zone is supervised play for kids ages 7 - 12. Kids make friends, play games and even have a space to work on homework while you work out.
Kids must be included on the Family Membership or Two Person Household Membership to take advantage of Stay & Play and Youth Zone.