Train to be a Lifeguard
This summer-long aquatics leadership development program is designed to teach participants skills they will use in the aquatics environment. The Junior Guard program introduction course offers participants the opportunity to earn volunteer hours and gain leadership skills. At the end of the program, participants will have the opportunity to become certified in:
- ASHI Basic Life Support
- ASHI O2 (Oxygen)
- ASHI First Aid
The Junior Guard Program is available at these Tampa Y locations:
- Bob Sierra North Tampa Family YMCA
- Campo Family YMCA
- New Tampa Family YMCA
- North Brandon Family YMCA
- Northwest Hillsborough Family YMCA
- South Tampa Family YMCA
- Spurlino Family YMCA
- YMCA Camp Cristina
- Participants must be strong swimmers. They will be required to tread water for 2 minutes and swim 100 yards.
- Weekly group meetings and required ASHI training at your home center
- Must complete a minimum of 50 volunteer hours throughout the summer (available hours vary; shifts are chosen by the participant)
Junior Guard program participants will assist the aquatics department including greeting members, distributing swim bands, helping with swim lessons and/or swim team, aquatics summer camp, pool maintenance duties, data entry, and special events.
Junior Guards provide an essential part of our ability to ensure excellence in safety and member experience. The Tampa Y is dedicated to providing an excellent program and expects participants to uphold the commitment they make upon registering for the program.
This program is for youth ages 14 and 15. Those interested in participating in the Junior Guard program this summer, please inquire with the Aquatics Director at your home family YMCA location.
The course to complete in order to work as a lifeguard or be prepared for an emergency. It's not just a job, lifeguarding is great for parents and guardians.
Lifeguard Prep Course
The program to help you prepare for the physical portion of the Lifeguard Certification Course.