Safety Standards for BASE Programs
The Y is collaborating with Hillsborough County Public Schools, American Camp Association and the YMCA of the USA to create safety protocols, educational resources and tools for our summer camp and BASE programs. Also engaged in the process was an independent expert panel with specialists in pediatric medicine, epidemiology, infectious disease management, biological safety and industrial hygiene.
Here are some of the safety protocols we will follow in the fall:
- Access to hand washing and ample hand sanitizer, especially when entering program, before meals and after restroom use.
- Y staff will intentionally teach and encourage good hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and follow a strict sick child/staff policy.
- Significant disinfecting of supplies and activity areas throughout the day.
- For the safety and well-being of others in program, those running a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher cannot attend.
- Children will remain in their same groups throughout the week.
- Spaced out activities to practice safe social distancing where possible when inside. Limited sharing of supplies.
Updated August 14, 2020
After thoughtful consideration, HCPS Superintendent Addison Davis has made the decision to require face coverings at our schools when classes resume August 24. Following the updated mandate, the YMCA BASE programs located in elementary schools and family Y centers will require face coverings for all staff and children where appropriate inside. Parents/guardians are responsible for sending a mask to BASE with their child (we recommend two). While in the program, children will not be required to wear masks for such activities as eating snacks or outdoor activities.
Our greatest concerns are you, your family, our staff and our community’s health and well-being. We will continue to monitor, evaluate and seek guidance from school district, government and health officials regarding our practices and will share any changes that might be necessary. We thank you in advance for your support and understanding.